martes, 13 de julio de 2010

Mi primer dia

Welcome!

I thought it would be a good idea to start a blog because I am terrible at keeping in touch through email. I over think every email I write and it would take me hours to keep everyone updated. Not because I am keeping in touch with so many people, but because I take forever to write anything. I am self-conscious of my writing ability. I also wanted to journal my experience here. I have never been very good at journaling either. Hopefully I can manage this blog. I am going to make this first blog entry short because I want to go to bed. Plus, it took me half an hour to decipher blogspot in Spanish. I tried to change it...

Let me begin.

I have been here for about a day and a half. I can't say that my Spanish is improving much, but I am a lot more comfortable speaking it now. I am actually shocked that I have survived so far speaking in Spanish. Well, the mom does know a good amount of English so that helps.

My room is on the third floor of the house. The house is compact, so my room and bathroom are the only rooms on the third floor. I feel like Cinderella, but I am treated nothing like Cinderella! It is so hot up here. They are going to buy me a fan tomorrow. I slept with a towel last night to wipe my sweat. They have AC and it is a pretty new AC, but we would consider it a piece of crap in America. It blows straight down the stairs, not into my room. Breath, Kayla. My bed is tine, but I guess I am used to that. This bed is definitely small than my twin though. So much for making this short. Fuck my life, they just turned down the AC. I immediately started to sweat. I would describe their house as IKEA done right. All of the rooms are small and without much clutter. My bathroom is across the way from my room and passed the stairs. Its only six feet across. I have a half-bathtub shower if that makes sense. Sonia, the mom, set up a little basket for me with shampoo, conditioner, air freshener (that she emphasized is not perfume), brushes, a toothbrush and all sorts of things. Oh, it also had a scrubber that I really like. It's a small foam rectangle that is covered in soft cloth. Ah, and I one of those butt washers!!! I'll definitely try that out before I leave.

A quick summary of my day. They let me sleep in today until 10. Isn't that funny? Me, Kayla Newman, sleeping in until 10. The kids were already up. We had breakfast. They eat warm chocolate milk with sugary cereal for breakfast. They eat sweets all day. And I though American children ate poorly. After breakfast, they worked on their school work while I studied my Spanish textbook. My goal is to increase my verb vocabulary. I only use around ten verbs. I feel like a child because I use "to want" way too often. After their schoolwork, we went to their grandparents house. They are so nice and such good grandparents. Both of them went swimming twice with their grandkids (they have a granddaughter too, named Martina). The grandpa brought us back to the house where I went swimming with the boys and made bracelets. For dinner Sonia made me a delicious salad with spinach, corn, tuna, and aceite (olive oil?). Ah my computer is dying and I am so afraid to plug it in because the adapter killed my straightener...

I love you all!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario