jueves, 15 de julio de 2010

La Problema con el bano

Two girls walked into a bar (me and Emily) and one girl needed to use the restroom as per usual. The girls proceeded to walk to the back of the bar near the kitchen where two dingy bathrooms with indecipherable pictures of men?/women? were posted on the doors. The first bathroom didn't have a toilet seat, so they tried the second. The second toilet didn't have toilet paper and was clogged to the max. Upon returning to the first restroom, confidant in their choice to squat, the girls locked the door behind them. After an enjoyable pee, the girls made their first attempt to unlock the door. This lock was no ordinary lock. It was a knob of sorts and to be secured needed to be twisted to the left or the right like a dial on the radio. The girls were foreign to this lock although they managed to lock themselves in the restroom. Girl one twisted and twisted, while girl two, who doesn't like touching knobs because of the germs, inspected the situation. Once girl one was profusely sweating, due to the non-existent AC in Spain and poor ventilation en the bathroom, girl two made a heroic effort to free them both. They both twisted and twisted the lock until their fingers where red. Their hysteric laughter grew and grew with each passing minute. Just as girl one raised her fist to knock on the door, spanish words were heard on the other side of their captor. The two girls quickly answered to the voice with cries for help. The voice calmly instructed them on how to release themselves from the bathroom. The girls had been frantically twisting at the knob when all it needed was a gentle turn. Not only were they embarrassed for being trapped in the bathroom for so long, but that they were two American girls trapped together. They quickly ordered a Spanish beer to forget about their loss to a Spanish bathroom.

Emily and I wrote the story above once we returned to where she is staying in Cardadeu. Emily's family went to France for the weekend, so she is staying with the parents of her Spanish dad, Javi, pronounced Chabby and sounds like chubby. His parents are so nice. I ended up eating dinner with them after Emily and I walked around the center of Cardadeu. They patiently listened to us talk, while insisting on us eating mass amounts of cheese. I just got hungry. I should not be hungry. Anyways, the father was so sweet. He had an impressive selection of fresh cheese and fruit. He was very proud of his fresh watermelon. Emily had a slice. When Sonia came to pick me up, they said that I could stop by anytime I wanted to visit them. They were so presh. Hopefully when I get more comfortable speaking in Spanish I will build up the courage to walk to their house. The mom said that she doesn't like living in Cardadeu because it is only good for sleeping. I feel so bad for her. I asked why she didn't move to another city. She said she stayed because of her job. I think she really enjoyed our foreign company. We told them a lot about our lives in America, while they would help us with our grammar and vocabulary. I hope that I continue to learn as much as I have the past couple of days. At lunch today, Santi made fun of me and how I politely say "How do you say...?" in Spanish. I wish he hadn't because I was more hesitant to ask once we left the restaurant.

My schedule with the kids during the day is starting to become more consistent. I wake them up around nine. Eat breakfast. Make the beds. They do their schoolwork, while I study Spanish. We practice English for as long as they can bear. Eat lunch. Then play. Today I didn't want to go swimming, so I just threw rocks into the pool for them to find. I am little concerned that I will run out of games within a week.

The language barrier is posing some what of a problem because I really want to hang out with Emily, but it is hard to coordinate things with Sonia and Santi. Hopefully after Emily leaves the misunderstandings will cease. I am going to miss her being here with me though even though she is rarely with me. It is a comfort to have someone in the same country as me.

2 comentarios:

  1. Hahaha... y'all would get locked in a bathroom. I wonder who "girl 1" and "girl 2" is.. ;)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Best Line: "Today I didn't want to go swimming, so I just threw rocks into the pool for them to find."
    Laughed out louddddd!

    ResponderEliminar