domingo, 18 de julio de 2010

Las calles de Cardedeu

Today was a pleasant Sunday. In the states, Sunday isn't any different than the other days of the week for me. The only time it alters my plans are when stores close at 6 instead of 9. In Cardedeu, Sunday means something. Sunday is a truly restful day. I eased myself into the day by sleeping until noon. Now my family knows what sleeping in means to me. Right when I woke up they commented on how much I sleep. I got ready for the day just in time for lunch with my family. Sonia made me the best salad yet with lots of corn and carrots. They don't eat beef ever, so we had chicken legs, chicken sausage and these strange, but delicious, fried chicken things. I don't even know how to describe them, but they said they were chicken. I ate about eight of those...After lunch and a skype convo with mi madre, Santi took me over to Emily's house. This was around four, which was perfect for walking through the streets of Cardedeu. Emily and I sat on a park bench for a while then moseyed around town while taking pictures and talking. The streets were desolate with the exception of some families taking a stroll. The main restaurants in the center were setting up for the dinner crowd, while all of the other stores remained closed. There was one candy store open that Em and I stopped in for an ice cream. The lady used this interesting push machine to fill the cone with ice cream that was in a tube. It was a fancy ice cream cone for an old candy store. Emily and I had the streets and alleys to ourselves. It was tranquil. Slowly the town became more and more alive as the afternoon went on. Emily and I made the difficult decision of which of the three restaurants we should get a beer and a snack at. We choose the cheapest restaurant. We were a little discontent until we walked in the back where they had a beautiful patio that had an old stone ground, large plants, and colorful patio furniture. We choose the table in the far back of the patio. We sat here for a couple hours, partially due to slow service, and enjoyed Emily's last afternoon in Cardedeu. Near our table was a gigantic tea cup that I really wanted a picture of me in. Every time I would get brave enough to take it, more people would come. I also wanted the tea cup to be at a different angle because it was hard to tell that it was a tea cup from the front. I prepared myself to scoot the heavy tea cup over. I heaved and almost fell. The tea cup wasn't heavy at all. Emily was so embarrassed to take my picture after my attempt to move it. I got a picture in the tea cup though! We walked back to her house around 9 where we got sidetracked taking some picture of a field behind her house. Her family was ready to take her back to Granolleres, where she usually stays. I had to say goodbye to my Emily at this point. I don't know if I'll be able to see her again for some time. She'll be in New York once I am back home. This was a sad and abrupt goodbye for me. I hadn't thought about it all afternoon. I might be seeing her on Friday though when my boys go to soccer camp. Once I came home, we had a nice dinner on the patio to end the day. Cardedeu is definitely growing on me.

Ah, Ferran learned how to ride his bike without his training wheels today! And I learned what the word for fart is in Spanish. They are pedos. Good to know.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario